Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Building my Home Recording Studio (part 1)

It's been almost a year since I moved out of my commercial studio space and I'm in the last few stages of purchasing my first home w/my wife.  It hasn't kicked in yet, but I believe it's an exciting feeling to finally be a homeowner... (I'm screaming excitement deep inside, really wish you could hear it, LOL j/k)

When I made the decision to break my commercial lease and look to purchase a house w/my wife and basically build a smaller studio space in the basement of the new house.  I thought that would be a good idea, because after 18months of having a commercial studio space I realized that it's not easy, plus most of my clientele are exclusive. So, I basically won't be dealing with too many "walk-ins" so why try to run with a commercial facility when I can get away with having it in my house.

Of course, I'm a little worried with building a studio in my new townhome, cause of the "noise" factor.  I've been doing some research on sound absorption and floating floors and I'm realizing that there are many ways to help minimize the traveling of frequencies and vibrations between rooms.

So, I'm devising a plan now once we move in to assess the space and design a room that can handle "LOUD" noises and vibration. It's tough and some what expensive, but the end result will be soooo worth it.

Along with designing a new studio space/suite in my new home, I'm also thinking about upgrading my studio gear.  Currently, I'm running Protool LE 8.05 through a Digi 003 Rack and I have a Mac Pro Quad-Core and a MacBook Pro 15" (1st Gen).


I'm seriously considering the move to Protools HDX System and the Apogee Symphony I/O System.  I really take my music very seriously and I want my sound to exemplify that.




Now, the question I ask myself all the time is "are you still planning on using Commercial Studios???" "if so, why go all out for a home studio w/room construction & gear upgrades???"  Well, to answer my own question (LOL), I believe that "God blesses a child who has his own..." So, I'm investing in having my own space and gear so I can create music to the best of my ability and if (only if) I would need usage of a Commercial Studio, it would be for "minimal" usage.

I can't wait to start the building process, I will make sure to take pics and blog (even vlog a little).





No comments:

Post a Comment