Monday, January 2, 2012

Ok, so I'm a Small-Business Owner?

Being a small business owner in this bad economy for the past few years has been a tremendously, burden & blessing.  I started FamousAmos Music, LLC in Aug. 2008 while living in my apartment in College Park, MD.  I felt that as a Recording Artist with a unique style & sound, it would be difficult to get signed by a Major Record Label... So, I started my own... Uhhhh ohhhhhh..WHAT WAS I THINKING??? LOL

Well, it all started off GREAT!!!! I started writing and producing new music and with the help of my close sister Erica and girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) Jasmine, I launched a new CD campaign entitled 'TELL THE WORLD"



In Feb. 2009, I released "Tell the World- EP" on iTunes and that's when the journey began... It was exciting cause I also came up with the idea to film my first music video and teamed up with Blue Artists Films, LLC and filmed it... Not too many people know this but the reason I decided to film it cause I knew that it would be difficult to service my single on the radio (because of industry "politics" smh.. that's another story)... but I realized that Music Videos submissions in my music genre doesn't happen often (especially High-Quality ones), so I assumed that certain TV Networks would LOVE to put a new video in their rotation...



My music video did very well on the charts (see below)...the momentum was building up, especially for me being an indie artist releasing a sophomore project... EXCITING!!!!!! But....


As an Indie artist, without resources for Marketing/Promotions to further the success of my video... The "buzz" will die down quicker and unfortunately... it did :-( But, I still learned a lot with the success from multiple Video Award Nominations and great reviews. 


In Sep. 2009 during my 30th-bday weekend, I release the LP version of "Tell the World" locally and raised money to secure a 1300sq. ft facility located at a shopping center in Laurel, MD (pics below)




Moving into a commercial facility as a new small business owner was excitingly nerve-wrecking, LOL.     I didn't have any investors or small-business loans, so all I had was a dream and a drive, smh... So for the next few months, after painting and small remodeling, I started to get settled...  Honestly, I never intended on entering the whole "Commercial Studio" game cause it's almost a dying commodity... All I wanted was a space where I can "create" my music and entertain my clients... Initially, it was a GREAT idea with soooo much potential, but as time passed and the true challenges begin to appear, it became very difficult to see "the light at the end of the tunnel"

My facility was located between a Dentist office and a Sports Bar, smh (#FAIL)... So, unless I pay an enormous amount of money for industry-grade "sound-absorbtion"(which I didn't have) I was going to have a difficult time making music, money and moving forward.. smh... That SUCKED!  Starting in October 2009, months and months and months passed with "trying to make it work out" and after getting married in August 2010,  I really began re-evaluating this "investment"... I kept seeing money go down the drain and began finding it hard to deal with the "balancing-act" of being a husband (provider) and a small-business owner.  Becoming a husband is a serious charge and responsibility... I take it SERIOUSLY, So, while looking around searching for new houses with my wife... I came up with an idea................................................. "why don't I try to break my 36-month Lease with my Studio and buy a house and build my studio in the basement???"  Because the money that I was spending between my studio and house rent could cover a "beautiful" mortgage, smh.

So, I met with the property manager at the shopping center where my studio was located and discussed to what I wanted to do... Well...... MY PLAN WORKED!!!!  The property manager understood my situation and we worked out an exit plan and in March 2011, I was able to break my lease 18-months early with very minimal damage :-)  Initially, after I moved out the studio... I felt like a failure, but I thought about it.... "I want to OWN my own property and no longer RENT and waste money?" so that's not a failure...that's WISDOM!

Well, being a small business owner has it's challenges and after 3 1/2 years, I'm starting to understand much better the mindset it takes to develop and grow my business. 

So wish me luck :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment